Tuesday 8 January 2013

FIRST LIGHT - A PORTRAIT WITH TECHNICAL DETAILS PROVIDED

It's time to start writing about some of the images that I have been posting. My students always want to know what f stop, shutter speed or lens I use for shots....the question drives me crazy....as if knowing that would help. Nevertheless, here goes.

This image was made a few years ago inside Union Station here in Toronto - a notoriously dark and dingy location that was bustling with people (approx.150,000 per day). The Canon 5D Mark II (with a 50mm - 1.8 prime lens mounted on it) was in Manual exposure mode, A meter reading was made off my hand so I was ready for action in that light. The 50mm prime was opened to f4, ISO was 1600, @ 1/30 second which is the slowest shutter speed I will use to hand hold with this lens....any slower and I start getting camera shake.

I love the angle of view that the 50mm gives me for close-in portraiture - I also love the speed and contrast of this lens - it's made for this type of shooting scenario. When I say close in, that means standing within 3 - 4 feet from the subject......this creates a much different feel than if an image made with a 200mm lens from 6 - 7 feet....the difference wouldn't be merely technical ....by moving in close to the subject a sense of intimacy is there.....this comes through in the picture.

There is a big window on each end of the Great Hall at Union Station. I got close and waited until the man turned and looked up into the window. There was only time for one shot.

I find that making portraits under street shooting conditions like these helps me stay sharp and keeps my technique honed to a fine point. It forces me to see quickly, intuitively, and to make the kind of split second decisions that sometimes go into creating a good photograph.